When we started sharing meals with Jolie I had a hard time finding ways to cook tasty meals without adding salt. I know I can add salt later or take out some food for her before adding salt, but who really needs salt, anyway?
Here are some common ingredients that enhance flavor in our every day meals:
1) Coconut oil: sautéed with summer squash and onions we don’t use any other spices, the coconut flavor really adds to this simple summer dish.
2) Fresh lemon or lime juice: I add this to a lot of chicken dishes. My family doesn’t even notice the missing salt.
3) Herbs: Dried herbs are alright, but fresh is best. My favorite is cilantro, I love love that flavor. I bought a little cilantro plant at the grocery store but it died really quickly. I’m not the best gardener, and buying bunches of herbs don’t last long in the refrigerator. I saw this on Pinterest once and have been freezing my herbs ever since. Here is a quick tutorial, although it’s pretty easy to figure out on your own.
1. Wash your herbs
2. Chop with kitchen scissors in a cup
3. Place in ice cube trays
4. Add a bit of water
5. Cover and freeze
6. Pop out into freezer baggies
7. Toss a cube into your pan when cooking…
While I was chopping my herbs I had a craving for lemonade. I decided to add some cilantro and it was so refreshing!
1 glass of water with ice
1 lemon or lime (microwave a few seconds to get more juice out)
1 tsp sugar
2-3 cilantro leaves
Let it sit for a couple of minutes to blend flavors, and enjoy!(You could also make a large pitcher but add the leaves to individual glasses to have a fresher taste.)
What are your favorite herbs and spices to cook with?